I've been thinking a lot about my Dad lately. I think it is because I have a teenage son who is always in a hurry.
I vividly remember my Dad in his gruff but gentle and a little exasperated tone telling me to slow down after many events in my life like...
When I ran headfirst into the check out counter in the drugstore and split it open as I was ducking and running under the chain intended to block you from going through there anyway...
and again when he was pulling out a very wide one inch sliver of wood from my bare foot after I haphazardly ran up the back stairs...
and when he was teaching me to drive and I would take corners too fast...make abrupt stops...and of course abrupt starts
and when I blew up my baby toe with fireworks that I threw down so quick they landed on my toe...I'm sure there are many more, I think I am still learning to slow down.
Learning to slow down, live in the now and enjoy the gifts from God is an underappreciated value today. I was lucky enough to have that reminder when I got to hang out with Braxton and Conner last night and just enjoy the time we had together and then watched part of a movie together. We just had fun and enjoyed! I do not spend enough of my life just enjoying the moment and valuing these special gifts.
My Dad was also a gift I under appreciated. By the time I was born, my Dad was OLD, so old as a matter of fact many of my schoolmates, and teachers who didn't know him yet would say "is that your Grandpa?", I remember feeling a little awkward about it once, but that was all...only once. He retired when I was still in elementary school and tried to teach me to just sit down and enjoy the ride, I don't think I ever did.
Now as I hear my Dad's words pour from my mouth when Michael drives me around town I miss him and I try to remember to slow down and smell the roses.
Thanks Dad, I Love You!
I vividly remember my Dad in his gruff but gentle and a little exasperated tone telling me to slow down after many events in my life like...
When I ran headfirst into the check out counter in the drugstore and split it open as I was ducking and running under the chain intended to block you from going through there anyway...
and again when he was pulling out a very wide one inch sliver of wood from my bare foot after I haphazardly ran up the back stairs...
and when he was teaching me to drive and I would take corners too fast...make abrupt stops...and of course abrupt starts
and when I blew up my baby toe with fireworks that I threw down so quick they landed on my toe...I'm sure there are many more, I think I am still learning to slow down.
Learning to slow down, live in the now and enjoy the gifts from God is an underappreciated value today. I was lucky enough to have that reminder when I got to hang out with Braxton and Conner last night and just enjoy the time we had together and then watched part of a movie together. We just had fun and enjoyed! I do not spend enough of my life just enjoying the moment and valuing these special gifts.
My Dad was also a gift I under appreciated. By the time I was born, my Dad was OLD, so old as a matter of fact many of my schoolmates, and teachers who didn't know him yet would say "is that your Grandpa?", I remember feeling a little awkward about it once, but that was all...only once. He retired when I was still in elementary school and tried to teach me to just sit down and enjoy the ride, I don't think I ever did.
Now as I hear my Dad's words pour from my mouth when Michael drives me around town I miss him and I try to remember to slow down and smell the roses.
Thanks Dad, I Love You!










No comments:
Post a Comment