Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Christmas Break

Christmas break came to an end yesterday for Mikaela and it will come to an end for me tomorrow, hence the posting. I'd like to catch up on some pics and memories before collage brain kicks in.



Christmas break from school for Mikaela and I was a quiet joy. We didn't go to many places physically but we did culturally with our cooking. It has been fun. I often want to try new meals from other countries but the brain power it takes from studying seems too overpowering so I  don't. But guess what!!!!!! We did during the break.

See what we did….

First there was bread, but I guess there is always bread. I love to give it for neighbor gifts.
But then we did something new to go with the cinnamon roll story on my blog. We made cinnamon rolls and delivered them with the story attached. I think it is my new favorite Christmas story because it reminds of the importance of family and keeping track of things to share when our loved ones are gone.


 Notice the two shades of bread? Well here's the deal, they really are different. You see when Michael, our Elder who is on his mission right now in India is home, if I make the bread 100% whole wheat he doesn't eat as much of it. But…if I add half white flour he eats most of the bread up without looking for store bought bread. Well, I simply forgot he wasn't home to eat it anyway and made the first batch with half white. Then the light went on and my taste buds flared up so I made the second batch the way I love it. 100% freshly ground, hard red wheat. Sooooooo yummy! Kind of like a present to myself.

Mmmm, love that honey butter. It is a must with fresh bread.
Then there were the tamales. Mikaela LOVES tamales, no, I mean really LOOOOOVES tamales. So I decided that for her Christmas present I would learn to make them and have her help me so she could eat them during break (which she did, I think I only got 2).
green chili chicken filling for the tamales. but so good just by itself too.
Spreading of the masa
Mixing of the masa
red pork filling, so yummy and spicy HOT!




And then….the India food. I have been wanting to cook Indian style food forever. They have lots of vegan and vegetarian options so even before Mike was called on his mission to India I had purchased a Vegan cookbook. I've only prepared a couple from the book. The three below I pulled from the internet and oh my! are they delicious! I was super impressed with the naan recipe, very airy and EASY to prepare. I was so intimidated by it I didn't think I could make it as yummy as the Indian restaurant we went to, but it was just as good.

Naan
Spicy Dal, basmati rice and garam masala chicken.


No comments: