Monday, February 1, 2010

Pretzels

BEFORE

Soft Pretzels or Bread Sticks

2 c. warm water
2 pgk. dry yeast (2 T.)
1/2 c. sugar
2 t. salt
1/4 c. soft margarine (I melt it)
1 egg
6-7 c. white flour
1egg yolk
2 T. water

Mix together first seven ingredients. Roll out to 1/2 inch thick, and cut roll and tie into knots. (we usually omit the rolling step and everyone makes their own pretzel by rolling it out into snake like rolls like when you were little and would roll out the play dough, I still love to do this).
Let raise, baste with egg yolk and water mixture, sprinkle with salt (if desired). Bake 15 min @ 400 degrees.

I love BIG, fresh, hot pretzels with cheese sauce! The Tostitos con queso medium cheese sauce is the best!

AFTER

It makes really yummy bread sticks too! Top with melted butter and garlic powder or garlic salt and/or parmesean cheese, after it's done baking. Make some spaghetti to go with it...mmm, mmm, good!

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Definitely going to try this one! Thanks!

Caroline said...

Sounds yummy!

Eric and Beckii said...

Thanks for the recipe that is great! They look so good can't wait to try and make some!

MHS 2002 said...

I woke up an hour after you posted this...it looked so good I made them for breakfast :) It was SO yummy.

Eric and Beckii said...

Mom, those look sooooo good. I can't believe you waited till monday to make them ;)

Dani said...

Hi Kathy!
Hal said you wanted the recipe for Hootenanny Pancakes. The one I have and use is my Mom's & I have no idea where she got it from.

Hootenanny pancakes:
6 eggs
1 cup of milk
Salt to taste
1 cup of flour
1 cube of butter or margarine, melted in a 9x13 inch glass pan
Preheat oven to 425. Melt the butter in a pan in the preheating oven, be careful to not let it burn. Mix eggs, milk, and salt to taste in a blender. Then add flour. Pour mixture into the bubbly butter. Bake for 25 minutes. Serve hot with syrup, jam, or fruit. (Lower temperature or shorten time if it's getting crisp too fast.)

Dani's notes:
I usually bake at about 375-400 for 22 minutes. I like it better.
You use a blender to make sure it's all frothy, you can use a mixer as well, just be sure to mix really good!
I use way less butter! You just need enough to make sure the pan is good and buttery. (Like for a 9x13, less than half a cube.)
I cut the recipe in half and make it in a 8x8 pan.
Every time you make it the ridges and bubbles will be different!

Enjoy them! :)
Dani