Saturday, March 29, 2014

Historic Women's Conference

The very first General Women's conference for all young women, and women age 8 and up took place today…

It was a joy to spend it with Beckii, Mikaela, Shelly, Tina's mom Marianne and Eric's family. In the past General Women's conference included a light luncheon beforehand and short program with my Stake here in Rigby. This year there was no luncheon/program planned so we went with Beckii to Janet's ward in Idaho Falls. Tina had been in the hospital very ill with pancreatitis and this kept us close so we could go there before and after. We dissevered a little gem of an candy shoppe while in Idaho Falls and went there for ice cream afterwards, that was fun too.

Lately there has been a lot of LDS women and their families who are trying to talk the prophet into allowing women to hold the priesthood. I don't know if there is a link to this or not but I wonder if that is why the meeting changed to include age 8 and up.

When I have thought about whether or not women should hold the priesthood I have felt that the need was not there. Men have a need to learn to serve in a way that comes by nature to most women. The priesthood is a responsibility in service, kindness and love that men may never experience without it. I'm not looking for commentary on my thoughts on this topic, just recording it for myself.

The holy ghost spoke so clearly and quietly to my soul that I can hardly describe my understanding that men need the priesthood and women already understand and experience, naturally, what men learn through the priesthood. I wish now that I'm writing about it that I would have written about my experience at the time. I also wish I had Beckii's excellent expression in writing skills as I type this.

No comments: