Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Fall 2014

I.love.Fall. 

I started this blog in the Fall and it feels like an anniversary of sorts every time I post this time of year.

We have had unseasonably warm weather and rain and it has been wonderful, well, except for a the unfortunate farmers whose crops were damaged due to the untimeliness of the rain. There were a couple of freezes that prevented my pumpkins from "oranging" up, but these wonderful 70's temperatures we have been feeling since will remedy that. And my flowers are still blooming…LOVE that! And I've harvested soooo many tomatoes!!!!!!



 Since we moved into this house in 2008, I've have attempted unsuccessfully to harvest RED tomatoes. The growing season here is just so short. But this year, thanks to those unseasonably warm temps and blankets for the nights of freezing I finally got a "truckload". I'm happy to know I can finally get them. Even my nasturtiums grew this year. And zucchini grew everywhere, even where I didn't plant it. The tomatillos and sweet 100's took over the garden as bad as any weed. And oh my goodness, the sunflowers.

Last year I planted a bunch of sunflowers and the ones the birds didn't eat withered and died, not one grew. I was dealing with some undernourished, desertlike dirt instead of soil, but it was so sad to see them wither up and die. So this forest of sunflowers was beautiful, a little late for full growth of the seed, but beautiful none the less.
We harvested 22 pumpkins in all :)





  
L00K at the petunias, it's OCTOBER, in Idaho.
After the grandchildren took home their pumpkins.
And this was just the first take…mmmm, so yummy.

No comments: