Sunday, July 5, 2009

FINALLY, a little blogging!

Finally! I'm somewhere where there is high speed internet and time to update. So here's a few recent events.

/>
This is a blog in progress!

In Idaho Falls, 20 minutes south of Rigby where we live there is a Touching display called Freedom Field. It's 1,776 large American and Title of Liberty flags in a huge field on the corner of a main road. I've heard of it every year for the past five years and haven't been to see it till this year. We took the opportunity of walking in the "parade" that travels 2 miles with people carrying the flags all the way to the field. Those who wish can attach a yellow ribbon with names of those serving, or have served on their flag too. This one pic shows how many people participated from only one perspective.
The Fourth of July has always been a favorite holiday for me, I think it is because of how much fun we always had at the parks in Utah, Sugarhouse, Murray with family, water melon, ice blocking and Aunt Jeanette's sloppy joes. My Dad always taught us to be respectful of our country and those who have served to give us the freedom we have.
The 2 mile walk carrying those flags with my children was very touching, people were honking horns, waving showing support. Veteran's and their families were at "checkpoints" along the path giving out ice water and telling us thank you. Wow I didn't realize how that would make my heart feel. I just want my children to remember where they live and how wonderful their lives are.
Happy Independence Day!!!!










1 comment:

MHS 2002 said...

Looks like you had an amazing weekend! I've never heard about the flag event you went to... that would be neat to see. We are blessed to live in America!! Glad your blogging :)