Friday, August 14, 2009

Geyser in Soda?

Because of how busy I am all the time we don't really get vacation time so we have tried to plan a few activities this summer that are fun. Beckii and Braxton went with us this time; we spent a weekend in Utah on July 24.
When I was a kid it was so much fun to camp out overnight on 3rd E. and 9th S. (I think) and wait for the Pioneer Day Parade to linger past us in the heat. We used to sit on top of the business we camped in front of and watch the parade too. Mom always brought food to eat and lot's of water. Aunt Jeanette's family was always there...especially Miriam, this is the first time I attended the parade and didn't see my cousin Miriam there. We stayed the night with my nephew and his family, we camped in our tent in their back yard, Beckii, Mikaela and Michael are much better sports at tent camping then I am.

Saturday, July 25th we went to Lagoon, Michael and Mikaela's first time there. Michael is a daredevil and rode all the big, fast, scary rides that I will not. Then we had to coax Mikaela onto the rides but after riding the Wild Mouse she became nearly unstoppable (I'm not sure in all the times I've gone to Lagoon that I have ever rode the Wild Mouse, don't tell Mikaela, even the Sky Ride still makes me white knuckled)

What does all this have to do with Soda Springs? On our way home from Utah we stopped here. We stopped in Lava Hot Springs where we have never been before either and determined we must return and then stopped in Soda. Did you know there is a man made Geyser in Soda? Someone was drilling a well to find a place to start some hot pools for their business and drilled a geyser by accident, the story board there tells it better, you should go even though it is a little ghost townish. So they have kept it spouting since 1931. The signs posted said it was capped and put on a timer to go off every hour after the people at Yellowstone National Park said the geyser was affecting "Old Faithful". We ate lunch there and Michael played in the intense spray that blows off in the wind. It was neat. We also made "soda pop" with the carbonated water that comes from a spring there too. Before you add the koolaid it is just as nasty as plain carbonated water from the fountain at the gas station.

1 comment:

Sabra Ann Rasmussen said...

Wow kathy it looks like so much has happened and changed in your life! Your a grandma again! cool and your kids are getting so big! How are you?? Hows Journeys? I sure do miss you all alot! Say hi to everyone for me!