I love canning! I know it's crazy but I absolutely love looking at the finished product of canned peaches, pears and applesauce. My favorite breakfast is cottage cheese and pears with toast and butter; and since we started putting applesauce on pancakes and waffles we almost cannot eat them anymore without it. The flavor of home bottled fruit is AWESOME!!!
It is a lot of work and fortunately for me, this year, Beckii, Shawn and Kate wanted to learn to can their own stuff. So we ordered more fruit than we needed...okay not really, because Michael will probably eat at least a jar of peaches a week or more by himself...Shawn used to eat a quart jar in one sitting. After attending Michaels football game 45 minutes away from home, it took most of a day to bottle 41 quarts and 6 pints of peach syrup. I finished cleaning up the kitchen about 10pm. It takes FOREVER, it seems like, for the canner to warm up for each batch to be cold packed then water bathed.
About 6 or so years ago we discovered that canning outside really keeps the heat down in the house so I purchased an outdoor, two burner camp stove. I LOVE it. It make the process simpler, and cooler in the long run.
I appreciate all your help guys. Michael and Mikaela were tons of help too, things like making the syrup to pour over the peaches. When we were finished and time to bring the jars in to be washed and lableled Michael used his hulk like muscles to pack all the heavy boxes of full jars in the house and then again loaded back into t he boxes and taken downstairs to the storage room.










1 comment:
yum! i'm still hoping for some peach cobbler. soon.
Post a Comment