Monday, January 3, 2011

A New Recipe I Love!

I like "Greek like" flavors so....Be warned that it might be an aquired taste.

Beckii claims if I say it is delicious and healthy you need to beware!

Tabouli Salad with Quinoa

Quinoa is a delicious tasting grain, high in protein. It needs to be rinsed before cooking, through a fine strainer.

Cook 1 cup quinoa in 2 cups water and cool. Add quinoa to 2 cups boiling water and simmer covered for 10 minutes. Let stand at least 10 minutes till liquid is absorbed. Makes about 3 cups? I haven't actually measured it. (if you are not ready to try a new grain you can use 3 cups cooked, cooled brown rice here)

After the quinoa is cooled add it to a large bowl, add:
1 t. salt
1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
1 generous t.
crushed garlic (I bought my garlic mincer at the grocery store for $3)
1/4 c. olive oil
1 t. fresh mint, well chopped
Ground black pepper


Mix thoroughly, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
I don't always do this because I do not have time, but today I knew I was making this for dinner when I got home so I cooked the quinoa before I left for work, cooled it, put it in the fridge for when I got home. Then I added the above ingredients before I prepared some other recipes and it sat in the fridge for at least 30 minutes while I prepared the other stuff...it was still delicious.

While it sits in the refrigerator waiting for the seasoning to combine with the quinoa mix together:
2 med. diced tomatoes
1 c. packed, freshly chopped parsley
1 diced cucumber
1/2 c. chopped scallions, include greens

Top with:
8 oz. feta cheese, crumbled. (I actually never use this much because I buy the 6 oz. container)
1 can sliced black olives

I think it tastes best if you give it about 5 minutes to allow the toppings and tomato cucumber mix flavors to blend into the dish.
(I do not like the flavor and texture the next day, so if you know you will have leftovers, do not put the toppings and cucumber mix on the whole dish, top indivually on plates or bowls and use the rest for lunch the next day.)


2 comments:

Bradbury Bunch said...

It does sound healthy! I wished I lived closer to you so I could sample a plate of yours! :) Maybe I'll try it.

BTW the picture of Braxton in the next post is PRICELESS!! What a stud muffin!!! XOXO

Hope you have a WONDERFUL 2011!!!

Caroline said...

That sounds good. I don't think Justin or the kids would go for it. I think I will just make it for me.