Saturday, January 15, 2011

Sacrifice

I'm not sure I sacrifice near enough! My life is so blessed...and easy.

I'm teaching a lesson in church about sacrifice and it really brought to my mind the lack of sacrifice most of us have to do now days. We have everything!

I am reading an Ensign Article about Jesus Christ. I realized that I do not study or offer to my children the amount of study even Christ experienced as a child, because we are too busy with everything happening around us, to sacrifice our precious time for Him. The article reads:

As Elder James E. Talmage of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles pointed out: "Our knowledge of the Jewish life in that age justifies the inference that the Boy (Christ) was well taught in the law and the scriptures, for such was the rule. He garnered knowledge by study, and gained wisdom by prayer, thought and effort."

Have I given myself this much spiritual education? Christ was 12 when He was in the temple educating the teachers there, who were suppose to be teaching Him; He was answering their questions.

Have I made sure my children have had this much spiritual education? Have I helped them to grow their testimony and depend on what they have inside? Do they know how to pray, listen for the answer and then act?

What about pondering? Have I set the example and had the discussion about slowing down enough in this crazy world to truly ponder the words of the Gospel, the words and works of Christ? His Prophets and Apostles? and our current Prophet?

Do I believe enough that my children know I believe? Or like in this book (view the excerpt), have I taught my children to believe in Santa Claus and me in Christ?

Have I sacrificed enough for others? My family, strangers, my children, my co-workers and first and foremost...Christ himself? Have I shown him that I truly believe on His name by serving others?

And....what exactly is sacrifice today? In the world we now live in?

No comments: