Every time I get a calling I'm reminded of how to love another human being. I wish I wasn't so weak in this mortal frame, so quick to forget. I'm thankful that I get to be reminded by receiving a calling and an opportunity to feel this love.
In February of 2013 I was called into the Young Women program in our ward. With my job, schedule and complete lack of experience in the program I was SHOCKED to even be asked to serve, and petrified to say yes. But I did. The past year has been a wonderful experience with wonderful young women that Heavenly Father is very aware of. And the advisor I got to work with was absolutely amazing and a super Christ-like example of love, kindness and service. I literally could not have served without her. As I write this our ward has been split and we were put into a new ward so I am no longer the 2nd Counselor in the YW. I've learned so much, and as is common when you learn, you learn how much you really don't know.
I've learned that young women are noisy, giggly, loud, creative, intelligent, powerful, knowledgeable and very underestimated. They have strong testimonies and understand the gospel. Just like adults, when allowed to serve in their calling, they learn to LOVE also. the teaching program in the church, Come Unto Christ, is very inspired. The leadership training lessons we are to sure with the girls are also inspired. I have learned side by side, with the girls.
One of the fun activities we did to welcome the girls into Young Women beginning this year was to have a waffle breakfast at my house for the incoming Beehive. Morgin was the first. We were very late getting to her party, nearly 6 weeks late, because of schedules, but it finally happened on February 15th, even though her birthday was in January. Initially we planned on inviting ALL of the young women to the house, but through an inspired mistake only the Beehive Presidency came. We ate waffles covered in strawberries, blueberries, whip cream and syrup. After waffles and cleanup we played a game. The game was called S.E.T., the name of the game is not important but what I learned was.
The game was new to all the young women and so they all had to learn to do something new together. I came to understand that learning together helps you to personally connect. At this tender age the difference between an outgoing Beehive and an incoming Beehive is quite huge and hard to see if your not watching. Often they are two grade level apart in school and may not even see each other anywhere other than church activities. One of the leadership lessons we are to learn with the girls is how to love those we serve. I realized after the breakfast that the fun time we spend together learning a new game, eating delicious food, in our jammies/sweats/comfies and messy hair at 8:00 am on a Saturday morning, helped them to get to know each other and to include the new Beehive in the activity. I learned that the new Beehive needs to feel accepted and the older girls needed experience with the younger girls to get to know them.
My prayer is that these wonderful young women will not be as quick to forget as I am, and will always remember their value and KNOW they are children of a LOVING Father in Heaven who loves them.
11 hours ago










No comments:
Post a Comment