Tuesday, February 25, 2014

College break and math class

I've been in college again, since August of 2010. It's been fun, inspirational, educational, and HARD. Through lots of prayer and a need to attend fully online I was inspired to attend Utah State University. Eventually, I quit my full time job managing Journeys, DDA and took some clients into my home to be able to pay the bills and still attend school. Michael and Mikaela have been TONS of help through this process. I didn't take any breaks between semesters and I only took 6-9 credits per semester to help it to be easier.

In August of 2013 I realized my time and mind was spread too thin to be able to spend happy time with family and still be successful in school. It was some real bittersweet events that helped me to understand that I needed to take a break. I was broadsided in an intersection, two days before I was to go to my Aunt Louise's funeral in Utah and in severe neck and back pain. In the shape of the seatbelt straps across my shoulder, chest and hips I was covered in black and purple bruises. The pain/bruises across my hips were so severe the Dr. thought I broke my pelvis. I spent the next several months going to the chiropractor two times a weeks to help ease the pain.

There were several deaths in our family (my Aunt Louise, my sister Darlene, brother Danny) during this time also and eventually I realized I just had to take a break from school. That was very hard for me to do. I really wanted to be graduated, with my bachelors degree by May of 2014. Eh…oh, well it will still come. I flunked 2 classes as a result of not being able to complete the final paper for the two classes. I'm actually hoping that by some grace of god the two professors of those classes with let me audit the classes online and then just complete the papers. I certainly hope so.

Some good news in this process YAY! I have been taking some math "catch up" classes at the local community college so I can complete a math course that is a pre-requisite to some other course I need to finish at a Utah State. I just finished on with a 100% on the final and now get to move to the next level of "catch up" class. I register for that class May 1st and it begins just a couple of weeks later. Then in the fall I'll be able take the class I actually need. Who hoo! There is a light at the end of every tunnel, thank goodness.

The long, drawn out point here is that I took a break from USU to be able to spend more time with family and focus on the things we need to get accomplished at home, like Mike graduating high school and all of Mikaela's fun musical activities. Mike is also planning on going a mission, if I had been so busy working AND going to school I wouldn't have gotten to see what he was doing and this is really the last year we get together.

Oh, and not to be ignored, I've taken way too much time off from scrapbooking, journaling, and picture taking, so I'm also trying to play "catch up" on that to. Hence all this blogging and desire to print what I have written.

No comments: