Sunday, November 2, 2008

EWWW, WHAT'S THAT SMELL????



At the end of "irrigation season" every year the kids (and crazy adults) go fishing for pond smelling, algae eating trout or other type surviving canal fish. (Yeah, nearing the end you can smell the algae, it's palatable.) The end means the water goes out for the year in your nearest canal.
There is always a race to be the first to the best ponds, before the water is all the way gone. You have to get to the fish before they get "too old". One year they covered the tailgate of the back of a truck with big fish, at least 20. That was when we lived by the bigger feeder canals.

In true fashion this year as soon as I told Michael and Mikaela the canal was out they readied their "fishing" equipment put on the appropriate garb and out on the hunt they went!
Michael finds his only catch, some kind of small white fish, called Shawn for gutting tips, then independently built a fire to cook his catch. Sounds through the window like all is going well, then he comes in complaining "Man, it was just finished cooking and fell off the stick into the fire." :( Later that night he'd let the dog out to potty and couldn't find her anywhere. Eventually the searching leads to the hosed down fire pit, there she was just sitting there lickin' her chops after enjoying Michael's dinner, at least the dog got some fish.

1 comment:

Beckii said...

I am so glad you got pictures of that!! I don't really think I ever participated in that activity - couldn't stand the smell! Michael - too bad about your fish; I would have liked to know if you really would have liked it, I guess we'll never know!