Thursday, October 29, 2009

First Steps and Soccer

What exciting news I learned at Shawn and Eric's soccer game last night in IF, which they won by the way, Braxton took his first steps last week.... he's barely one, Oct 3.

I spend so much time working and running errands and running kids that I wish the boat would slow down enough for me to not miss all the important moments of life. I remember when Beckii was 11 months old she started walking and as if getting from A to B took longer walking than crawling she stopped walking. I discovered one day that putting dresses on her made her crawl like a stinkbug...I love it when they do that. So, at 13 months I started putting only dresses on her and "voila" she decided that it was easier to walk than stinkbug. The lengths Mom's go to...?!

Back to the soccer game, these guys and gals play on a YMCA indoor adult co-ed soccer league. Have you ever watched indoor soccer? It is so much more fun than outdoor and warmer. The pace is faster the field is much smaller and it's in a arena like hockey, no ice though, and they can bank the ball off the walls during play, it just cannot go above a certain point up the wall where the nets enclose the field. There are less players and the rules vary some to outdoor. It's really fun.

Shawn has been playing goalie when he takes the time to join the league which runs only about 6 games. But when they first started he had not played goalie before and something happened to their goalie so he was volunteered for the position. It was all it took for him to develop the skills he has now as the sweetest goalie ever. His moves are quick and he "risks his life and limb" for every ball. Way to go dude. Eric usually plays forward with his friend John they "SCOOOOOOOOOOOOORE" often. Beckii said Eric played defense in high school, I can't tell, he's a speedy forward. Eric and John are rarely seen on the field without their awesome defender of the goal Justin, this trio has hung together for years.

They have a couple of amazing sweepers in front of the goal too, Melissa and Shani, wicked feet, ladies and gents look out, Melissa could break your foot if your not careful. Many a forward limps away from her. They used to have a "regular" set of people they played with and now it's dwindling a little to where they are getting to meet new team members who make it fun too.

Since they are adult games that have to work around "real life" they are played sometimes as late as 10:30 at night so we don't get to go to as many as we would like but we sure LOVE the ones we make it to. Keep up the sweet moves guys/gals.

2 comments:

Beckii said...

Thanks for being such a super fan. We couldn't do it without you guys!

Beckii said...

Actually this is eric speaking but it is signed in as Beckii